Friday, March 18, 2011

Babysitting Etiquette (From the babysitter's point of view!)


Morning, folks...

Today, I'd like to touch down on babysitting etiquette. As the word spreads that I babysit on occasion, I have more and more people asking me to do so. Today's blog entry is inspired by my 7:00AM babysitting job from this morning.

See #2 of 10 Things Your Babysitter Won't Tell You before continuing.

Okay, now that you've read that, I'll explain...

Parent X is a very nice person and actually in the childhood education area of work. Child Y is 5-years-old, and Child Z is 2-years-old. Today, I had to get there at 7:00AM, but it's usually 6:30AM. My morning starts somewhere between 5:00-5:30AM. Keep in mind that I have 4 dogs to take care of once I roll my sleepy self out of bed. I get ready, let the dogs out, make coffee, feed the dogs, then let the dogs out and in once more. By then, I've managed to get into the car and make my way to her house. With morning traffic and red lights, it takes about 20 minutes to get there. My duties typically include getting both Child Y and Child Z dressed, fed, hair and teeth brushed, to the bus stop with Child Y and then to daycare (roughly 7 minutes down the road) with Child Z. I then return to her house, take out the car seat, and make a last sweep of the house to make sure everything is tidy and where it's supposed to be. After all of that, I get paid $15. That's not even $8 an hour!

Your point, you ask? It's just not worth my time. I hate to sound smug. Money is money. But it's really not worth it. By the time I get out of bed and get back home, I've already wasted almost 3 1/2 hours of my day. I can put - what- 4 or 5 gallons of gas in my vehicle with that money? Some of which I already used driving there and back!

So, mamas and papas, it's probably best to pay your sitter more than $7.50 an hour! The lives of your children are in that person's hands. You should probably pay them at least the typical going rate.

A not-so-peaceful entry... but nonetheless...

Peace, Love, & Paw Prints

No comments:

Post a Comment